Tuesday, September 10, 2013

"Jack" completed 09-10-13

Just as with Kodachrome film, digital does have a problem with red-violet.  The tree and the fence below are all much more red-violet (purple) than the image shown.  I don't know what to do to make it more color true.  Not ever use red-violet in quilts to be photographed?


"JACK"  Del Thomas 2013  19.5"W x 15"L 
Fused, machine edge stitched, machine quilted.
Background fabric: "Midnight Colony" from Alexander Henry - 2010
I purchased this fabric for the yellow eyes on black which seemed usable - somewhere.
Jack, himself, comes from "Feeling Witchy" (Half to Have #566) a rather cursory pattern by Bloomin' Minds  http://www.bloominminds.com/multiplepagesection.asp?page=6

 
I didn't start out to quilt around the bats, but as I made the wavy quilting lines on the background it seemed a shame to ignore the bats.  Some unstitching was necessary, but I went back and outlined most of the larger bats.  And I added some hand stitching to give the tree some creepy fingers, along with withered grass by the fence. .
 

All my quilts have a bird in them somewhere - obvious or hard-to-find (even for me).  I looked through my fabric library for an owl, but they were all too large.  Finally I settled on this cartoon-like bird because the color goes nicely with Jack.
 

 
Backing fabric "Hocus the Cat" from Alexander Henry - 2010
 

Great spider (which is saying something from a arachnophobe like me) and even though it doesn't lend itself well as a label, I just wanted to put it on the back of this quilt. 
From a panel "Be Witched" by Carol Eldridge for Andover Fabrics - 2011
 

Here I am with the winner of the quilt, Jackie Buck.

"Jack" was the September Monthly Mini for Surfside Quilters Guild.   A member volunteers to make a small quilt, table runner, pillow, handbag, whatever, for a certain month.  At the meeting each month, tickets are sold ($1 each or 6 for $5) and at the end of the meeting one ticket is drawn from the bowl for a winner.  The funds go into the treasury to help pay for programs and other guild expensesThe "take" varies from about $80 to less than $400.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Quiltedtime said...

You should be very proud of that little quilt, Del. It is perfectly delightful!

Susan Turney said...

It's adorable! Lucky winner.

Dolores said...

A work of art!!! XX

Loretta said...

This is a wonderful little quilt. Jackie is a lucky, lucky winner.

Carol said...

Wow! What a winner Del! Love the spider too.