Sunday, September 22, 2013

Latte "painting" for lunch. 09-21-13

I left home yesterday and drove up Hwy 101 along the coast to San Luis Obispo  colloquially known as SLO.   On the way I stopped at a favorite restaurant that I seldom visit  - Jeannine's in Montecito.  There is a sister restaurant in Santa Barbara, but I have never tried it - Montecito comes before Santa Barbara and I am usually starving, just from thinking about the food.  It is a tiny place and very popular with the locals.  There has always been a charming plant nursery next door and I was sad to see that it is gone and construction has started on a building in its place. 

One of the joys of Jeannine's is the fabulous lattes (Peet's coffee) which are also amazing art.  Isn't this bear a delight?  He is the most complicated "latte painting" I have seen.  I still don't understand how the baristas make them.

 
This angle shows the thick top layer which has to be part of the "trick" to make the image last so long.

Notice that the handle of the cup is lined up with the image in such a way that when one drinks they are eye to eye with the bear and also lip to lip. 
 
 My drinking distorted the bear and ultimately turned it into a......
 
 
..... PIG!

Just as eating this huge omelet filled with fresh tomatoes and cheese and topped with a perfect avocado, along with fried white and blue potatoes, turned me into a PIG! 
 
After I waddled back to the car I continued north and spent the night at HIE in SLO.  The residents seem to have a sense of humor about the name - this morning I saw them setting up for the "SLO Turtle and Reptile Club" show at the Veteran's Hall.   How many towns have such an organization - fast or SLO? 

#   #   #

 
 

3 comments:

Dolores said...

Always on the go! Big Sky Cafe on Broad St. is also good and whenever my daughter and I travel to Santa Barbara and LA we stop there. Enjoy your trip!!

Quiltedtime said...

Bakersfield has a desert tortoise club. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other similar critter clubs here as well.

Sherrie Spangler said...

You manage to find the most amazing food on the road! Happy travels.