Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Inspiration - Looking back 10-02-13

I am currently overwhelmed with deadlines and things that must be done - now.  But I've been looking back for some inspiration.   On a Road Trip I am always fascinated at the way the roads cut through the hills and slopes and I have made some quilts that I suppose are a series. They are all titled "Roadcut"  + whatever area or highway where it is located.


This butte is in almost the center of St. George, Utah.  Just look at those layers!  I don't think the cell tower on the top adds a lot to the view, but if I do this as a quilt I will just leave it out. I might call it "Roadcut #4 - St. George".  Very simple. 
 
I  really like the contrast on this one.  Could I do it with just fabric?  Or would I need to resort to paint or dye or ink?
 

In the top picture the fractures are horizontal.  Here they are vertical and there is a lovely tall Mullein plant growing at the foot of the cliff.  The plant is about four and a half feet tall.
In 1985 Ruth McDowell made a great Mullein quilt in an ingenious technique.  it is in her book "Inspirations" on page 74.  How I covet that one!  
 

I have no idea what they might have cut away to make space for the roadway.  The arch in the middle is created by fractures in the stone and water seeping between the layers of stone.  There is a "youngster" arch to the right and slightly higher.  How many years until it is an "adult"?

I so love a Road Trip!  It fills me with questions and answers.  AND inspiration.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Loretta said...

Photo #2: Fabric, of course, with lots of thread play!