Friday, February 26, 2016

Fabric from Back Porch and Creation Station 02-26-16

It is always a high point of being in Pacific Grove - going to Back Porch Fabrics.  Just feeling fabric is so satisfying.  But Gail Abeloe, the owner has such an eye for  exciting fabric; there is always something special and different on her shelves.  She also has lots of small projects made up to tempt shoppers -  handsome purses and totes, soft toys for children, and, of course, wonderful quilts hanging on the walls.  There will be a new exhibit in the classroom - Melinda Bula's quilts were being hung today.  If ever you are in Pacific Grove make it a point to stop at Back Porch Fabrics.

These are my selections from yesterday:

This is a 10th Anniversary fabric from Echino.  Since it is from Japan, the price is about double that of an American fabric (which is printed in Japan!).    I think it is linen, but I might be wrong.
 
This bird is sort of camouflaged in the field of green hexies. 

This was on the sale table.  Such a strange print, but not unusual for an Alexander Henry.

Here is a detail.


Another Alexander Henry.  I bought this one for Ruth McDowell.  I know she will do something wonderful with it.  I didn't buy enough for a dress!

This is called "Colorworks Concepts" by Deborah Edwards for Northcott.  The New York Beauty part is a panel, whereas the flying geese and stripes is yardage.  I bought enough to add a border all the way around.  It will be baby quilt size.

This is "8 Days a Week" from Windham Fabrics. Isn't it odd?   I wonder why it has the blank white area on the right.  One could make a calendar with the white space at the top for the name of the month.  But why would one do that?  I think I can use it in the Urban themed challenge for the art quilt group I belong to.
 
The two fabrics on the left are from Creation Station in Buellton.  The others are from Back Porch Fabrics.  They will just go in my fabric library.

The light fabric in the last picture is this batik, which has lots of possible applications.  I am following the frequent instruction to buy at least one light fabric. 
#   #   #

2 comments:

Queenie said...

Del, these fabrics are beautiful. I found the Echino fabric at my neighborhood dry goods store, but with a washable finish perfect for recovering dining chairs at my grandchildren's house.

Loretta said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! Great finds! Love the tropical for Ruth!! Enjoy quilting in 2016!