Friday, March 11, 2016

Painted "yardage" 03-11-16

This was the third day of the five day class I am taking with Elizabeth Busch.  The idea is to reconstruct a quilt or quilt top that we are not happy with.  To that end we have been painting to create yardage that we might, or might not, use to help reconstruct the quilt.  Fortunately I brought regular quilting fabric from home, because I don't see anything I've painted in the "new" quilt!  Tomorrow we start the cutting and sewing.  It will take a while, perhaps all day, to figure out just how we want to rearrange our quilt. 

Elizabeth Busch reads to the students for inspiration.  Her work behind her.
 
On the first day of class we cut up the photocopies of the quilt/top we are interested in revising. These are the possible rearrangements I came up with.
 
These colors might work, but I don't know how this might work into the existing quilt.  I darkened the red after I took this picture.

We are learning how to use the transparent paint.  This is the back of a piece where I put coasters from Crate & Barrel under the cloth before painting.  The front is terrible, but the back has possibilities. 

This is much darker than I thought it would be, but it has the right colors.

Preparing the canvas involves duct taping it to the table to hold it down while painting.  This piece has 1/4" masking tape blocking the paint and the duct tape around the outside.  The canvas shrinks as it absorbs the paint and will actually pull the tape from the table.
 
I did a few more pieces after I took these photos, I'll try to remember to photograph them and post them later.  I also have pictures of the design boards of the six other students to share with you.
#   #   #
 
 

1 comment:

Rayna said...

Ha! I have one that's crying out to be redone. But it's already finished and quilted. ARGH. This looks like a great class. xoxo