Sunday, November 20, 2016

Quilt by Karen Rips added toTCQC

This is the last quilt I purchased from the SAQA 2016 online auction.  I do love Karen Rips' work.  There is a subtlety of expression in each of her pieces and this one spoke to me.  Tundra is defined in a dictionary as:
 
"A cold, treeless, usually lowland area of far northern regions. The lower strata of soil of tundras are permanently frozen, but in summer the top layer of soil
 thaws and can support low-growing mosses, lichens, grasses, and small shrubs."

Although I known that Karen has been to lands where tundra is found, I have only
 visited in books and movies, but I have a feeling for tundra and no desire to see it
 in the flesh.  The absence of anything familiar is some how frightening to this city girl
 from California.  And yet I like looking at the emptiness in this little quilt.

The texture is unique, a technique created by Karen using silk with wool batting.
  Very flexible,  I imagine it would make a soft, warm, lightweight bed quilt.  But I
 will enjoy having this special look at tundra on my wall. I wish you could all feel it in
 person.
"Tundra"  Karen Rips - CA, 2016  12" x 12"
Whole cloth, soy waxed, discharged, wool batting, hand and machine stitched.

The black behind the red is in the fabric, the red is stitched.

A little swatch of lichen.

Necessary info on back.

The back is plain and knife edged. 
#   #   #
 

1 comment:

Loretta said...

Know I know what tundra looks like and is! Thank you Karen and Del.