Sunday, March 5, 2017

Empty Spools Day Three 03-05-17

I was so busy trying to catch up in class that I didn't take a single picture today.  I have three seatmates in an arrangement of four tables in the NW corner of Scripps classroom - one is a speed queen and the other three - Susan, Mea, Del - are all snails.  I am the furthest behind and spent the entire afternoon cutting and fusing the fabrics I have selected for my palette.  I've learned over the past 26 years that I have been coming in Empty Spools that I will not have the right fabrics no matter how much thought I give to the selection.  So, I just pull a bunch of fabrics in different colors and textures and hope something will work.  I may get by with not needing to buy any fabric this trip.  Sometimes I am a dreamer!  But I also brought a box of scraps and a box of miscellaneous silks, rayons, sheers, glitzies, and clothing construction scraps collected over the past forty (or longer) years and I don't intend taking them home again.  I did find in that big box a few pieces I can use for accents.  My tablemates are very willing to share what they brought, so there is a great variety of fabric available to me. 
 
Dinner tonight at Il Vecchio a super Italian restaurant in Pacific Grove.  I love the Carbonara, which they make from scratch - perfect al dente.  I am not enjoying the food this year in the Asilomar dining all.  I understand they have a new executive chef, that may be the problem.   Cardboard fish, rubbery compressed turkey, ersatz turkey pot pie - even the desserts are less than expected. 
 
Rain a couple times this morning and the wind was blowing all day.  It is cold tonight, 42F at 11:30pm.  Prediction of 59F tomorrow with partially cloudy skies.
#   #   #

1 comment:

Loretta said...

OOOOOOO, not so nice at Asilomar today....sorry. Have fun indoors with your fabric! I've not quite gotten my head around the project, which means I need more pictures when you have a chance. Catch up first, pictures next! Most importantly enjoy your time!