Sunday, May 27, 2018

Road Trip to WA - Tonight in Yreka, CA 05-27-18

I met my friends June Underwood and Terry Grant for breakfast this morning at a restaurant in June's neighborhood in NE Portland.  Although I mostly grew up in Portland I didn't see much of NW, but the main street names are familiar and I didn't get lost.   I got on I-5 about noon and traffic was heavy, but no stop/go.  After Eugene the traffic was light and I only saw one police car the whole time I was in Oregon.  Guess they were patrolling somewhere besides I-5.  Not much picture taking today and it is 11:30pm and I am very tired.  So, just a few pictures to share.   Tomorrow I will drive to San Juan Bautista for two nights with Mary/Joe and then I'll drive to Placentia on Wednesday.  I've driven that stretch so often there will probably not be any new pictures along the way. 

June Underwood and Del Thomas

Terry Grant

June's giant Allium

And a close up - a million tiny flowers gathered in a globe. 

Not a good picture, but something I have never seen before.  This is a dogwood tree wearing a sweater - see the zipper up the front?  Place this around the little newly planted tree and zip it up, then water from the top for several years until the tree is thriving and then remove.  Clever. 

Just over the line into California there is a vista point dedicated to viewing Mt. Shasta.   I always stop, it is such a gorgeous mountain.  Not as much snow as some years. 

I went out looking for some place for dinner and found this local very popular spot.  
The Jefferson refers to the "State of Jefferson" which takes some explaining.  Check it out at:  
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_%28proposed_Pacific_state%29


They have a beautiful pond with elegant landscaping in their parking lot. 

The point of this picture is to show the flag on the right.  Guess I messed up.
You can see it on the Wikipedia site. 

Almost a full moon tonight.
#   #   #



1 comment:

Sherrie Spangler said...

Hi Del. I just got caught up on all of your blogs from your latest adventure -- quite a trip! I marvel at how you can drive such long distances, and I so enjoy hitting the road with you via your posts. Have a safe drive the rest of the way home.