Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Reading 07-31-18

I have been a life-long reader and have talked about it in previous posts.  Check the right sidebar for the label "Reading".   There are so many books that I haven't read that it makes me sad sometimes, I'm running out of time.  I write down lists of books from reviews, suggestions from friends, posts on the Internet, and anywhere else I see book titles/authors.  There are also books traded with friends, or just given by friends, or the box in the doctor's office to exchange books, or ... wherever.  I buy books from the local second hand book store, from Barnes & Noble, and from Amazon.   I have bookcases full and piles in almost every room.  I am addicted to books!  I THANK everyone who posts reviews or just titles/authors online. 

Recently I have read:
"Lillian Boxfish Takes a Walk"   Kathleen Rooney   Loved it, recommend it. 

James E. Ziskin's series about "girl reporter" Ellie Stone.   The time is early 1960's and Ellie is a "girl reporter" for a small NY state newspaper who solves crimes to get the stories.  One thing that strikes me is the absence of cell phones!  How completely they have integrated themselves into our lives, it is sometimes hard to remember how it was before! 

"The Punishment She Deserves"  Elizabeth George   Another Inspector Lynley tale, this may be the longest yet.  But I do love the characters and the suspense.  

"Messenger of Truth"  Jacqueline Winspear    Somehow I missed this 2006 volume, though I am up to date with all the others in the series.  Maisie Dobbs is an interesting character and the timeline starting with The Great War provides insights into what life was like in England during the wars.  

"Little Fires Everywhere" Celeste Ng  What a tale of dysfunctional families with an astounding ending.     

One book that I have near the top of my "to read" list is "The Affliction" Beth Gutcheon. 
Beth was a quilter in the 70s and wrote two classic books on the subject.  One of her quilts is one of my favorites, but I can't find a picture of it right now.  I'll keep looking.  I have enjoyed some of her other books and believe I will enjoy this latest tome.  
#   #   #

1 comment:

Kathy N said...

I love Elizabeth George...so glad to see she has a new book...just requested it. Thanks!