Sunday, August 5, 2018

Very small quilts from TCQC 08-05-18

 Tonight I am posting some very small quilts from several different makers.  There came a time after I had been collecting contemporary quilts for a while that I had to decide how small could a quilt be.  Did I want to hold to 12X12?  Or would fiber postcards be okay?  And what about those artists who only made small quilts?  When I first started the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection in 1987 most quilt artist were making fairly large quilts, but as the years went by it seems that they get smaller and smaller.  Which works for me because I have less and less storage space.  I do have a box full of fiber postcards and I have made quite a few myself.   The standard size is 6"x4", but very small quilts (less than 12X12) come in many sizes.  I'll show you a few this week and maybe continue next Sunday also.   

"Just Because"  June Underwood  2005  5"WX4"L
Whole cloth.  Cotton fabric, machine quilting.
Simply but sweet, I keep this one hanging in my bathroom.  There are several of her quilts in TCQC, all larger than this tiny one.  

June's distinctive signature  "jou" is rather joy like.  

And what a pretty back - with a dedication.  Nice.


"Cherished Friends Flourish"  Tracy Chapman  2007  4"W x 6"L  
Cotton fabric  and glass beads.  Hand quilted and beaded. 

The beads are threaded on while quilting.  Notice the picot bead edging. 

The back shows her tiny stitches.   We have sort of lost touch in the last eleven years, but I still consider Tracy a dear friend and I cherish this symbol of that friendship. 


 "Happy Birthday"  Judy House  2003  8"Wx6"L
Machine appliqued and quilted.  Cotton batiks and glass beads. 
Judy and I became friends at Empty Spools Seminars at Asilomar.  She was very talented and made some great quilts.  She succumbed to cancer in 2005, all of her friends, and there are many, still miss her a lot.  

The beads are hand sewn. 

She sang Happy Birthday on the back.


Vest Pocket Tour II   Joan Schulze  2001  7.5"Wx7.5"L
Cotton and silk fabrics.  Printing on fabric.  Machine pieced and quilted. 

Here is Joan's machine stitched signature on the front lower right. 

On the back of the quilt you see her signature in reverse and this long skinny label. 

This is one of several quilts in the Collection that have Velcro for hanging.  I never use Velcro hangers and I would take this off, but I have a hard time seeing black on black, so I left it on. 
#   #   #




1 comment:

Martha Ginn said...

Speaking of postcard art--a friend who holds estate sales recently brought me a card she came across while getting the client's items ready to sell. It was a landscape fabric postcard I had mailed to her in 2007. I was honored and humbled that the card was valued enough for this interior designer to keep for nine years! Actually, in 2007 I felt rather brave in sending MY ART to a professional decorator!