Monday, November 5, 2018

Revisiting a fabulous Ruth B. McDowell chicken quilt 11-04-18

Ruth B. McDowell "Red Hen" posted 07-11-11

I just completely ran out of steam last evening and had to go to bed early - before I posted to my Blog.  Sorry.  This is one of four of Ruth's chicken quilts in TCQC - she likes chickens, I like chickens.  I purchased this from Ruth at Asilomar in 2010.   
"The Red Hen"  Ruth B. McDowell - Colrain, MA  2010  17" x 20"
Cotton fabrics, batting, thread.  Machine pieced and quilted.
http://www.ruthbmcdowell.com/
What a great eye!  I think it is from a Kaffe Fassett fabric.  The feather over her head adds a whimsical touch and notice the rust w/irregular white pattern on the back of the neck - a calico!  It was probably in Ruth's fabric library for thirty years.

Great feet!  Another of Ruth's chicken quilts has two hens
 - one with these blue feet and the other with purple. 

Ruth has such a great eye for fabrics and uses mostly commercial prints.  but she will also include batiks, hand dyes, furnishing fabrics.... whatever works in the design. 

I appreciate the hand written label - always distinctive. 

And the great backing fabric.  This is a quilt that I will sometimes hang backward for a few days, just to enjoy this awesome fabric, which is enhanced by the red quilting thread.

 
Ruth's quilting lines always add to the image - here with feathers and in the lower left her original version of "Methodist Fan" motif. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
11-05-18    I missed posting this in time so the date is indeed Sunday's date, but it is 12:30am on the Oct 5th.  This is probably my favorite of Ruth's chicken quilts in TCQC.  I hang it front side out most of the time, but also flip it for a few days to enjoy the back view of the quilting and this great Marimekko fabric. 

#   #   #

2 comments:

Loretta said...

As you know, I love Ruth's quilts and her chicken and duck quilts are particular favorites. Her fabric choices are exquisite! I miss Ruth's visits to Asilomar and trust she is enjoying her time a Colrain.

Sonia said...

Ruth is the undisputed master at using prints effectively. She was my idol when I began quilting and still is. When you see one of her quilts, there is just no doubt about who made it. Love, love this chicken. Lucky you, Del!