Saturday, April 27, 2019

Talking about books 04-27-19

I almost never talk about books, but I read a lot.  And I write down the names of books/authors mentioned by others on their blogs or Facebook.  I suppose if I read 24 hours a day for the rest of my life I might read a tenth of them!  But the Book Group gives me a variety of books, some I like and some I don't.   Currently I am reading "The House Girl" by Tara Conklin.  It has alternating chapters - one from Josephine in 1852 and the other from Lina in 2010 or so.  I particularly dislike books that jump back and forth, but the stories are somewhat interesting and it was a popular bestseller in 2013.  

The May selection for the Book Group is The Nightengale, which I have already read, but will review before we meet again.  For April we read "The Truth According to Us" by Annie Barrows. During the month I read four Ann Cleeves books about a detective in the Shetland Islands of Scotland: "Raven Black", "White Nights", "Red Bones", "Blue Lightning".  They were entertaining and I learned things I didn't know about the Shetland Islands, including Fair Isle.  There are another four that follow the story line and I have them on my list.  

I also read the two latest Anne Hillerman mysteries.  Anne has taken up the stories of her late father Toni HIllerman and all the books take place in the Navajo nation in New Mexico and Arizona.  These two are "Song of the Lion" and "Cave of Bones".  I have read about these characters for years, so it is like visiting old friends. 



I sometimes run out of new books to read, but right now I have a shelf full and it is hard to decide what to read next.  Other than the Book Group book for May I will next read "Margaret Wise Brown: Awakened by the Moon" by Leonard S. Marens, which is a biography of the author of "Goodnight Moon".  Sometimes the Book Group choses to have everyone read a biography or memoir and report on it at the meeting.  It is so interesting to hear what members selected to read and what they thought of the book.

Read any good books lately?

#   #   #  


1 comment:

Carol said...

Del, I liked the Shetland Islands books very much, because of the setting. I fantasized about going, but then read an article in The NY Times travel section about the fierce winds there, and decided I wouldn’t like it after all. It’s fun to be an armchair traveler.