Friday, August 2, 2019

A day on the road - I-5, of course. 08-02-19

KoKo and I had breakfast in Beaverton, OR, with out friend Terry Grant.  We met at a place with outdoor dining, but we were a little worried because when we woke up it was raining and we took our walk in the rain.  Dried KoKo off as best as I could, fortunately it was not cold.  



After a tasty breakfast and an all-too-short-visit with Terry we followed the Waze (an app) directions to I-5 south and did some "touring" of residential areas as I missed the "turn right".  Then we crawled in the traffic south of Portland for quite a few miles.  But things loosened up and it was not the congestion I saw on the way north.  

The clouds moved away and finally the sun came out. 


Lovely blue sky with fluffy white clouds. On the far hill right in line with the highway is a clear cut hillside surrounded by the tall uncut timber.  It is such a wound on the landscape.  And always makes me a little sad. 

Now days when they clear cut they do at least leave a few "mother" trees to help reforest the broken land. 

Somewhere along the way we stopped at a rest stop for a piddle and KoKo got tree sap on his feet.  I tried to wipe it off with some doggie wipes, but that wasn't very effective.  When we arrived here in Ashland, OR, for the night I tried again with hot water and soap.  No luck.  So, out came the scissors and I trimmed it all (I hope) off with the hair between his toes.  He was very tolerant of this operation and has not been chewing at his feet.  Hope it was successful, we'll see what his groomer says after we get home. 

After we were in our room I had an e-mail from Phyllis Reddish, a quilter from Orange County who I have known for many years, but seldom see these days.  She said, "You are staying at our motel, I saw you in the lobby, but you got away before I could catch you."  How amazing!!  I almost never run into people I know and certainly not so far from home.  We met in the lobby and had a little visit and a hug.  So nice to see her again.  

#   #   #

2 comments:

Carol said...

What a great surprise to meet a friend so far from home! KoKo is a good dog to let you “operate”. I know you’ll both be relieved to get home after so many adventures.

Loretta said...

Surprise friends here and there along the way are certainly one of life's treats!