Thursday, August 1, 2019

Just trees tonight 08-01-19

One of the great things about Oregon and Washington is the abundance of trees.  If I had realized all those decades ago how much I would miss them I might not have moved to California.  My original destination was San Francisco, but somehow I ended up in Southern California where trees are landscape decisions rather than natural growth.  The towering Douglas Firs are my favorites, with their shaggy growth and funny "tongues sticking out" pine cones.   In Mt Vernon they have many varieties of trees, but it seems that cedar is the most common.  Majestic. 

Bark of a cedar tree - shaggy. 

Cedars in Mabel and Mac's backyard. 

 Showing the back deck overlooking the backyard and the cedars. 

Mixed forest with evergreens and deciduous trees.  Big leaf maple, I think. 

Around every house in Mabel and Mac's neighborhood are groves of tall trees. 

 And there is an occasional dead branch but not many.

 And a sumac tree with berries. 

Under the trees a great variety of ferns grow naturally. 

I couldn't tell if these two stumps were left in place or "posed" there.  Great cedars again. 

Fir tree branches growing close to the ground.  

More ferns.  Sword fern, maybe. 

In all this green I can tell where to turn into Mable and Mac's driveway because long ago they planted a lovely Japanese maple that is red toned all year. 

I remember these evergreens from my childhood, but don't know their name. 
It was planted here, not natural to the area. 

And the same for a lovely blue spruce planted in the same yard. 

Huge leaves on this - again, I think it is called a big leaf maple. 

Here we are all packed, ready to head home.  KoKo thinks he should get the driver's seat. 
There is my umbrella at the bottom of the picture, all ready for rain that never came. 

#   #   # 

1 comment:

Carol said...

Love the tree photos. Safe travels to you and KoKo!