Friday, February 21, 2020

Recuperating today! 02-21-20

After a strenuous day of quilt hanging, both Mary and I were dragging our tails today.  We both were up and down during the night.  My shoulder problem came back with a vengeance, but fortunately I found an analgesic patch in my suitcase and finally got back to sleep.  Those handy patches work great on my shoulder.  The rest of the day I lazed around editing pictures and doing e-mail and finished the book I have been reading.  David Baldacci's "The Sixth Man".
We went to dinner at Inaka, the Japanese restaurant here in San Juan Bautista.  The food was delicious, but the service was very slow and they don't take reservations for parties of two (how odd!).  It is a very popular place and an unusual restaurant for tiny SJBautista.

I will drive home tomorrow.  I would like to stay and just hang out at Back Porch Fabrics and talk about the quilts.  But I need to be home Sunday for a meeting and I miss my KoKo dog! 

When you walk into the classroom at Back Porch the quilt facing you is Judith Content's "Cataclysm" (85"W x 55"L).  She was working in her studio and her husband was reading the book "Krakatoa" about the massive eruption of that volcano in Indonesia in 1883.  He was so fascinated he kept reading parts out loud to her.   She read the book and was inspired to do some silk dyeing and created this fabulous quilt.  I am so lucky to have it in the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection.

#   #   #

1 comment:

Loretta said...

Judy's quilt, actually all of her quilts are spectacular. Each year the deYoung Museum in SF supports an artists sale and Judy participates with her beautiful dyed silk scarfs, fantastic button jewelry and her good humor. She is a most prolific artist. I do hope to get to Back Porch -- Pacific Grove is one of my favorite places to visit...almost like going home. My eldest daughter and her son lived there for a number of years while she worked as a science writer for the aquarium. They were wonderful years for all of us. Pats to KoKo and please share your Sue Benner project(s) with us. Best.