Sunday, February 16, 2020

Travel Stops 02-16-20

Last week I posted about stops at Harris Ranch on the I-5 near Coalinga.  I also sometimes stop further south at Pyramid Lake water "overlook".  My friend from Empty Spools, Dottie Daybill tipped me to this one about a decade ago.  It is only open during the day, 8 to 5, I think.  But the bathrooms are exceptional and there are usually only a handful of people around.  There are exhibits about water and the California water system and even a short film, which I have never watched.  The facility is called:


A very nice Spanish style building. 

With native Toyon trees around the building and in the parking large parking lot. 

During winter the Toyons bear berries, but I don't usually see birds around, except crows and ravens.. 

Looking back from the parking lot to I-5, snaking around the ridges and valleys requires lots of overpasses. .

Walk around the west side of the building for a view of Pyramid Lake, a reservoir. 

Another view of the lake shows a small marina which is accessible from Smokey Bear Road.  Occasionally I see a few boats on the lake, but very few.  There is nothing commercial nearby - no stores, no gas stations.  

#   #   #

1 comment:

abelian said...

Thanks for the visit to Pyramid Lake! I miss it, and I miss Empty Spools, now that I’ve been uprooted to North Carolina. Dottie