Friday, April 10, 2020

Friday Food 04-10-20

In the past few years "Avocado Toast" has been the rage and there was even an "Avocado Toast" index to keep track of the consumption - at least that is what I could make of it.   It all seemed so silly to me because I have been eating plain avocado toast for decades.  Maybe since 1960 when I lived in an apartment that had an avocado tree.  It was a Fuerte rather than the common Haas variety.  Fuerte is very thin skinned and doesn't ship at all well, which is why we find Haas with it's "alligator skin" at our super markets.  Fuertes are mostly found in farmer's markets and roadside stands. 

This is a Fuerte,  I like the flavor better than Haas.
I don't have a picture of a Haas to share. 


My version of avocado toast is to toast the bread, apply butter.  Peel the Fuerte, chop up the flesh and pile it on the toast, sprinkle with a tiny bit of salt and fresh ground pepper.  And enjoy.   It is actually easier with a Haas, if not as tasty, because once you remove the seed, you can cut the flesh into pieces still in the skin and then scrape it out with a spoon and pile it on the toast.  I never put anything else on, such as I have seen at restaurants.  Just toast, butter, avocado, salt and pepper.  Perfection.  

#   #   #

2 comments:

Loretta said...

Thank you for this wonderful lunch/dinner suggestion. Have yourself a happy and healthy day!

sonja said...

me too! for decades
And having a tree in your yard is wonderful
(or a neighbors) And it is great on a bagel too!!