Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Making masks 04-07-20

There are so many patterns and so much mixed information out there.  Hard to know which pattern to use or where to distribute the masks.   This is one that I made for myself and have been wearing when I go out among people.    Batik on the outside,  a layer of Pellon sew-in interfacing, a layer of flannel (that is the duckies, the only flannel I could find in my library), strings cut from T-shirt.  The strings are not very successful, perhaps I need to cut them wider.  I now have the pattern that Nancy Ota is using, with her detailed pictures of the process, and will try that tomorrow.  



#   #   #



4 comments:

Loretta said...

You made a reversible mask...yes, you are very clever my friend!

Enjoy your walks and visits. Pats to KoKo and a hug to you.

Please, continue to take care and stay well.

Gerrie said...

Del - I have been successful in using the t-shirt ties for about 30 masks. The secret is to cut them one inch wide and then give them a good tug and stretch and they will form a tube. I then cut them to about 18 inches. So glad you check in with your blog every day. Being our age is stressful in the time of Coronavirus.

abelian said...

I like the t-shirt ties, too. I cut mine 1.5” wide. They are soft and comfortable. On my last mask, using the “Olson mask” pattern, which has a curved seam instead of pleats, i sewed 5/8” channels on the sides and used one long t-shirt tie, put through the channels in a U shape, with a loop at the bottom of the mask, and the two ends coming out at the top. You put the loop over your head, to the back of your neck, and pull up the ties to fasten at the back of your head. Dottie

Joan Hutter said...

where can I find Nancy Ota's pattern?