Monday, April 6, 2020

Ruth B. McDowell quilts at VAM 04-06-20

A very wet, stormy day in Southern California.  But I had committed to drive to San Diego to take down and bring home the Ruth B. McDowell quilts that have been there since mid-January.  Fortunately, the Virus has kept many cars off the highway, so even with the rain and the wind the trip was not so bad.  A bit less that the "normal" two hours. 


The sea was rough with the wind blowing foam off the tops of the white caps.  The clouds were low and dark.  It has its own beauty, but rather intimidating.

I had intended to take pictures of all the quilts when I went down with friends to see the exhibit, but it closed before I could do that.  Today, before we started the takedown I took pictures of the larger quilts which I cannot hang very well in my house with all the windows and doors.  

"Carpet of Gold Thread"  Ruth B. McDowell  1988  
62" h x 107w
Cotton prints, hand dyes, fabric markers.  Machine pieced, HAND quilted.  This quilt was sold from Visions 1990 exhibit and lived in Santa Cruz until the owners needed to downsize.  In 2014 drove up to buy it from them.  What a treasure, all hand quilted by Ruth.  


 "Middlesex Fells - Late Fall"   Ruth B. McDowell  1995  
65"L X 90"W  
Cotton prints, hand dyes, woven plaids.  Machine pieced, machine raw edge applique, machine quilted.   
When she was half way through piecing this quilt in three vertical sections, a member of her critique group suggested shifting the pieces up and down.  Ruth found this suggestion very interesting, but it required some raw edge applique to accomplish. 

"A Rash of Flamingos"  Ruth B. McDowell  2000  
52"L X 100"W

In 2000 this quilt was purchased by an admirer from Alaska and it hung there in the snowy climes until 2013 when I purchased it from her estate.  There are 15 flamingo bodies, but Ruth has been told there is an extra leg.  Knowing Ruth, I think someone is counting incorrectly.  

So, now all the quilts are home and ready to rest for months.  I hope they will hang somewhere else in a year or two.  
#   #   #

1 comment:

Loretta said...

Good Morning, Picking up your treasures...how wonderful. Once again, you've shared two quilts I have never seen of Ruth's: Carpet of Gold Thread...truly elegant and Middlesex Fells - Late Fall, a treasure. Each time I see more of Ruth's quilts I am once again reminded what a fabulous selector of fabric color, texture, design she is. I note in Middlesex that the tree trunks penetrate the border...as she did with maple sap collecting (sorry I forgot the exact name...it is in your collection). Again, thank you so much for sharing your quilts with us. Please, take care and stay well.