Friday, April 17, 2020

Friday Food 04-17-20

Seems that everyone I know is sick and tired of thinking of something to fix for dinner and we all want to go out to our favorite restaurants.  I just finished a novel "Home Front Girls" that consists of fictitious letters sent back and forth between two women whose husbands are in WWII.  The two authors set up their exchange of letters as if they were the two 1944 women.  It is an interesting way of writing a novel, but I found it irritating to jump back and forth with letters.  Anyway, they included some wartime recipes including Welsh Rarebit which I made as a child and back in the 60s and 70s, but somehow dropped it from my mealtime repertoire.  It sounded so good that when I last went to the market I made sure I had the ingredients, although the one can of beer has been in my refrigerator for a decade or so.  I made it tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it and will enjoy the leftover tomorrow night with some fresh broccoli from the farmer's market.  One thing I forgot that I used to do is cut up the toast into bite sized pieces instead of having to saw through the toast and the sauce on my plate.  It also distributes the cheese sauce better.  I didn't take a picture of my plate, but borrowed this one from the Internet.   My blue/white plates are different!


The receipe from the book is as follows, although I'm sure you can find one in your old printed cookbook or, of course, online.  

One pound grated cheddar cheese [Tillamook is best]
One Tablespoon butter
One cup of beer
Two egg yolks [large eggs] beaten
Hot buttered toast or crackers [ick!]
Paprika that you bought within the last year. 

Using a double boiler melt the butter and cheese over medium heat, stir continuously until about one fourth of the cheese has melted.  Then add half of the beer and continue stirring.  Mix the remaining beer with the beaten egg yolks,  pour slowly into the cheese and continue stirring until the mixture is smooth and thickened.  Serve immediately over toast.  Sprinkle with paprika. 

Unfortunately the weather is just getting hotter and this seems like a cold weather dish, so I probably won't make it again until next fall.  And then I will be busy going out to my favorite restaurants.  

#   #   # 


1 comment:

Mary Ann said...

I wonder if this would be good made with beer bread!