Thursday, April 16, 2020

Thursday Thoughts/Treasures 04-16-20

I have posted these treasurers previously, but they are very special to me, so here they are again. 

More Needlework Treasures 10-25-12

After I posted about handmade gifts I took pictures of a number of others that I treasure.  I'll post them over the next month.  Warning:  This post contains nudity!!

Here are two gifts I received about twenty-five years apart. 
On the left is a scissors bob made with alphabet beads by Mabel Huseby from Washington Sate who I met at Empty Spools   She made me several of these that adorn a hemostat and.  various scissors, including my favorite Gingher Craft Scissors.
  
In the middle is a scissors doll made in 1986 by my late friend Margie Vandenberg as part of a Christmas gift project that was once done by Orange County Quilters Guild.  Even with over 400 members we handmade a gifts for each and every one.  This lasted several years until, I suppose the members that always volunteer got tired of volunteering.  Margie, who made the majority of these little dolls with their eleven black French knot eyes and hair, was a pro at making multiples of anything.  She was a volunteer at a local hospital and over the decades that she served she sewed tens of thousands of handkerchiefs with lace edging that were given to each newborn in the form of a little bonnet with a poem and instructions to clip certain stitches to make it back into a hanky for the baby's wedding day (girl or boy).  It was a lovely tradition that apparently ended with her death.  Many people, including me, have loving and thankful memories of Margie.    

 
I know this one was made by Margie because she gave it to me herself before the meeting.  You see the date 1986 and OCQG.  Above the date is "Xmas", but I didn't want to get the poor girl completely naked.
Posted by Picasa

Monday, October 8, 2012

Another treasure from a quilting friend 10-08-12

I'm still thinking of the treasures friends have given me.  Over the years there have been several sewing accessories that became integral parts of my lifetime sewing addiction.

This is an "ort catcher" - an "ort" being a scrap or tidbit and is usually used in connection with food scraps.  But embroiderers co opted the word to mean the thread ends and tiny bits of  fabric leftover when sewing.
 
 
This little basket block ort catcher was made about 25 years ago by my dear friend Betty Lou Lucas who died ten years ago this month.   She was an accomplished needlewoman and we belonged to several of the same groups, including a long lasting friendship group. 

 
This piece has been well used and I still use it when I am able to do handwork - it brings my friend into my mind with joy.  
Posted by Picasa
#   #   #

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

These are treasures! The ort catcher is also very practical. No matter what clever system I have for portable handwork, I haven't come up with a satisfactory solution to those little thread ends. This is it! I like that it's even a basket, to hold your orts.