Sunday, November 8, 2020

A tiny bit of sewing 11-08-20

I have not been able to sew while I have been confined to home.  Don't really know why this should be so, as I have millions of unfinished projects and imagined projects.  I guess pain is truly a deterrent to doing most anything.  

"Happy Birthday"  Del Thomas - CA  2020  9(" X 6"
Cotton fabric, fusing, machine pieced, appliqued, quilted.
 

My sister's birthday is the 12th of November and I haven't been driving and didn't buy her a card before all this happened.  So, I decided I could handle a very small project and I made her this card.  It isn't a great original idea, but I have always enjoyed making these cards with candles.  In this case I dug around in my button box and couldn't find eight "flames" alike, so I just used two odd ones.  She might not even notice!   We will just ignore the further five years she will attain on Thursday - one candle = ten years.  No half candles. 



The back and the base are scrounged from the scrap bag of a friend who never saves scraps.  I love taking a workshop she is in so that I can rescue her discards for later use.  She had already quilted this "sandwich", so I didn't even need to do that.  As I was making it I hadn't thought of how to get it in the mail!  I'm so used to having wheels, so my friend Carol braved the PO on a Saturday to send it on its way. 

A small result.  But a big accomplishment for me right now. 

#   #   #

3 comments:

Carol said...

I love the way this turned out!

Loretta said...

A lovely surprise for celebrating sister! Take care.

abelian said...

Those “5” birthdays are a shock, but not as big a shock as a “0” birthday! She’ll love her card-quilt.

I enjoyed all the SAQA videos, but yours was my fave! Dottie