Monday, January 4, 2021

Ten years ago in the desert 01-04-21

Ten years ago I was in Lake Havasu City with Corky, the poodle I took care of.  His "parents" had a lovely home with a view over the lake and always went out for the holidays.  This time of year the sunsets are amazing, so I have a vast collection of pictures.  How can I decide which to delete?  The moon is just a tiny crescent high in the image.  The lights on the other shore are in California, not much of a settlement over there.  .  


Corky went over the Rainbow Bridge just before Thanksgiving in 2013 and soon after everyone's life changed and eventually the desert house was sold.  Partially because it is a very long five to six hour drive out there from Long Beach where the family lives.  

Most of the drive is on I-40.  Sometimes there are other cars and trains (the light streak across the middle of the image) and, of course, big rigs.  There is a line of five big trucks going around the left curve ahead.

But usually there is not a lot of traffic and the barren desert stretches out on all sides.  Not a route to take without A/C in your vehicle.  I remember driving it in a VW Beetle with all the windows rolled down, gallons of water to drink, and wet towels to drape over our heads and necks.  That must have been about 1965.  Such a trip would surely kill me now!  I luxuriate in A/C, Cruise Control, and recorded books.  But now with Covid I am not going anywhere.  There is a huge surge of the virus in SCalifornia so I am really sticking close to home.  Wish I knew when I could be on the road again!  
#   #   #

2 comments:

abelian said...

I occasionally choose a word for the year, and this year, the only words that come to mind are “Out” and “Elsewhere”. And I can’t do those!

I’m worried about my dear California these days. It’s a little better in North Carolina, but cases are growing here, too. They’re vaccinating health care workers now, and my age group will be next. But even after vaccination, you need to stay home for several more weeks, while it does its work. Dottie

Anonymous said...

That sunset picture is amazing! Thanks for sharing.
Stay safe and well.
Amy in Austin