Sunday, September 5, 2021

Labor Day 09-05-21

Labor Day has always been a sort of "beginning" in my life.  It is, of course, close to my Sep 1st birthday when I am beginning another year of living.  It has always been near the beginning of the school year which meant  Floyd and I had to return in time for him to start the new teaching semester.   And all those decades ago it was the beginning of my life in California since I moved from Portland to San Francisco the day after my birthday in 1957.

There has almost always been a flag flying wherever I live, but since I can no longer get up on the ladder to put it up or take it down there hasn't been one.  Bur an Eagle Scout nearby has a project going where he will put up a flag for six patriotic holidays a year for a total of $60.  Seems worth it to me.  He came Friday with his sister and dad to pound about a two foot piece of rebar into the ground and slipped a pvc pipe over it.  The flag is attached and there is a small solar powered lamp at the top so it is lighted at night.  Actually, I don't think the light will come on because there is a street light at the end of the driveway, only about 20 feet away from the flag.   Sometime Tuesday he will come and remove the flag, pole, rebar and return them for the next patriotic holiday which is Veterans Day.  I have not heard of a project like this before, but perhaps it is not uncommon.  I am happy to participate.  

Hope you all have a lovely Labor Day and a new "beginning".  

#   #   #
 

No comments: