Friday, November 9, 2007

Blue flowers 11-09-07

I was going to post a picture of a commercial building in Ontario, CA., with a zillion smudge pots on the roof, but I cannot find it in my Picasa files. I may have lost it and will need to look on a disc to find it. Maybe!
So, instead I will post pictures of two different blue flowers - almost my favorite flower color.


Lobelia is such a brilliant blue, the most common color although it comes in different shades of blue and also in pink and white, and blooms here in SCalifornia most of the year. Before digital I was so disappointed that the printed pictures always came back as red-violet - it has to do with the basic colors of the ink used to make the prints. Seeing the first digital pictures on a screen was so exciting, but when they are printed out on my printer they come out red-violet. Again it is the pigments used in the inks. Very frustrating. But the color on my screen is perfect.

Posted by Picasa

This is Plumbago auriculata, a plant that blooms almost all year in our climate. It comes in different shades of blue or in white and has these lovely plum colored tubes that open into four-petaled blue flowers that look a bit like phlox. Originating in Shanghai, China, it is used here extensively on hillsides and on fences (like a vine), and will grow into huge mounds up to about 10' high and as wide. My neighbor has it growing on the other side of the wood fence we share, so it has crawled its way under the fence letting me enjoy it from my kitchen window.

1 comment:

jpsam said...

Oh Del, so you are a blue flower fanatic, too! I love Lobelia--all of the blues. And I put Plumbago in my Journal Quilt because the sky blue flowers are so fantastic. Both are treated as annuals in No. CA but we live in a banana belt where they will overwinter. It must be glorious to see them growing crazy as they do in the south.

I hope you find that picture with the smudge pots!
joan