Saturday, November 10, 2007

San Juan Capistrano, CA 11-10-07

I had a lovely lunch yesterday with my friend Nancy Ota. I took my old Pfaff down her way for servicing and I also had some things to deliver to her. She drove up from San Clemente and I drove down from Placentia to meet at Ramos House in the Los Rios Historic District of San Juan Capistrano. It is one of my favorite places for lunch, although I don't go often and haven't been for at least a year - the food is just as delicious as it has always been. It is not a fancy place, the dining 'room' is outdoors with just a roof over the top and the main north-south RR tracks are on the other side of the fence, so that when a train stops at the adjacent depot everyone has to stop talking due to the noise. Hey, I think the food is worth it! I almost always have the fried chicken salad w/hush puppies. The District, basically one street about three blocks long, is old, with three adobe houses built in 1794 - which for California is VERY old.

I didn't take a picture of the restaurant [next time] but this 1890s house is a private residence (see sign on right) just down the street. I'm sure they "fancied it up" so it resembles a place the Clampetts might have lived! I especially like the old wash tub hanging on the left side of the house.

The residents of the house must have some connection with this small "zoo" which is directly next door and smelly. There are several of these Emus, plus turkeys, llamas, alpacas, burros, many exotic birds and some other animals. I suppose children might find it fascinating - as sixty years ago my sister and I enjoyed a visit to Knott's Berry Farm. Which at that time it was very small, with a chicken dinner restaurant, a old west ghost town and what seemed to us like exotic animals (instead of thrill rides). We thought it was the best place on earth to visit.


Across the little private road is a plant nursery with many plants in bloom, one of the joys of autumn in this climate. These are labeled Tacomarie capensis - 5 Gal can is $25. Most of us know them as cape honeysuckle. The Plumbago image on yesterday's post was taken here. Up on the main street are little gift shops, a historical museum, a few tea rooms and what is claimed to be the original jail, a freestanding structure the size of a bathroom made of iron straps on all six sides. Somehow I doubt this.

1 comment:

June said...

I thought the "Clampett's House" was the restaurant (I always look at the pictures before I read the text). So I was impressed that the food in such a place could get such a rave review.

I do wish you had a photo of the restaurant. I'm trying to remember whether Amtrak goes through that town.