Monday, November 5, 2007

Quilt Card Process #2 11-04-07

The next step is mark the cutout shapes on the paper side of the pre-fused fabric and cut out the shapes. I set them aside while I do the next step.


I make the quilt 'sandwich' and quilt all of the background. On this piece I quilted with a green thread.

Detail of background quilting. When I was at PIQF last month I bought a "Sew Slip II" - a plastic sheet that goes on the sewing surface of my machine and has a little rectangle cut out to go around the feed dogs. This is the first time I have used it and what a difference it makes - the fabric slips around so easily while FMQ. Great tool.


When the background is quilted I arrange the cut out pieces of the design on the background and fuse them down - very well. Then I sew around the edge of each piece, about two needles width in from the edge, usually using matching thread. When this is done I quilt around just outside the edge of each piece using thread that matches the background or, in this case, a contrasting thread to make the design more defined. The outlining thread here is black DMC Perle #8, using a #100 Jeans needle. I have only mechanical machines, I understand that most computerized machine will not handle thread this thick.

I'll finish up tomorrow evening.

No comments: