Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Pelicans! 11-07-07

I feel fortunate that I live where I can enjoy the antics of both brown and white pelicans. Quite a few of the brown species, who are generally found in salt water areas, spend winters in the marinas, bays and coves in the Long Beach area and I see them on Marine Stadium from the back windows of Corky's (the Poodle Prince) house. White pelicans inhabit fresh water and in the winter a small flock visits the Anaheim Lakes, about two miles from my house, and I see them flying in their long meandering lines while I am driving. Or I can park in the back of Starbuck's parking lot which backs up to one of the lakes to view them while sipping a latte. I have always thought how incongruous it is to sit in heavy traffic at traffic lights and watch long rows of white pelicans with black-tipped wings playing follow the leader just above the waiting vehicles. Their wingspan is about 100 inches.





The protrusion on the bill grows during breeding season and then falls off, to grow again the following year. These birds don't dive for food, instead they stick their heads in the water to capture fish. Sometimes many of them band together, form a circle to 'herd' the fish together and then they all stick their heads in to catch what they can. It is quite amazing to see.


Brown pelicans dive for food. Their method has been described as a full bag of trash being dropped in the water from above! They just fold their wings and drop straight down in the water, catching the fish while their heads are under the surface. Their wingspan is about 75 inches.

(See picture above)
Sometimes both species can be seen on fresh water lakes and reservoirs. There are seven pelican species in the world.


Amazing what you can learn by reading blogs, isn't it?





1 comment:

jpsam said...

What a gorgeous bird! I grew up on the shores of Lake Michigan. I transplanted myself to CA in 1973. I still get all googly at the beach when the brown pelicans fly in formation. And the otters... OMYGOSH! And the whales...and the dolphins...
I learned a lot from this post!