Monday, December 17, 2007

A distant view 12-16-07

This is a follow up to my post of 12-03-07. That image was taken at sundown looking east to the mountains and I said I would go back to the same spot to try for a picture of the skyscrapers in downtown Los Angeles. I think I need a UV filter, or something, to cut out the haze. But this morning it was rather clear for this area and I took my chances.


I took the pictures from the top of Bastanchury hill looking to the northwest. Downtown LA is in the middle of the picture, between thirty and forty miles from this location and is rarely visible due to the smog and haze. But sometimes it sparkles out there like the fantasy land of Oz and I find it fascinating that I can see so far.



Here is a cropped magnification of the top image so that you can sort of see what I am talking about. If I ever get a new camera that has changeable lens and accepts filters I will give it another try.

My thumb is going to be fine. Thanks for asking!



Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Christine Thresh said...

Did you take the picture while you were driving?
I can't keep on the road if I try to answer my cell phone. How in the world can someone snap a picture?

Del said...

I do take pictures while I am driving! Including this one. I don't really look at the camera, I just turn it on, point it in the right direction and snap off as many pictures as I can. I might take six pictures and only one (or none) will be useable after making adjustments w/Picasa. If I point the camera through the windshield, as I did for this one, I sometimes get blurry spots from debris on the glass.