Friday, December 21, 2007

Stormy weather 12-20-07

There wasn't much of a rainfall today, less than an inch, but we had a very grey stormy sky. I had lunch with the Poodle Mommy at the Long Beach Yacht Club and this the view from our window table. Don't you think the texture is wonderful? In the foreground is the flat, matte surface of the channel, behind that the very busy strip of vertical boat masts and palm trees, and on the top the smooooth grey clouds. It was quite beautiful. And not cold.
Last week a member of the Book Group told us she was reading a wonderful book by an author she did not know. I was so excited when I discovered it is "The Whistling Season" by Ivan Doig, one of my favorite authors. His books are few and far between and I had not checked lately to see if he had published a new one - almost two years ago! My friend loaned me her copy of the book and I am gobbling it up. Mr. Doig has a wonderful vocabulary and uses it like, well, music. His characters are so real that when I finish reading I feel as if I knew these people at some time in my life. His first book "This House of Sky" was nominated for the National Book Award in 1978, but it lost out to Peter Matthiessen's "The Snow Leopard". I read the Doig book the next year and have been buying, reading and recommending his work ever since. "The Whistling Season" is his eleventh book. There is a good basic article about him in Wikipedia at:

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

jpsam said...

It's sunny and cold today (the low was our lowest yet, 33 degrees). I emptied our rain gauge of 4 inches of water for the last few days of rain. That's a good amount and I'm not complaining but we need more. We live on the eastern side of the Berkeley hills and a trip through the tunnel last week revealed the lovely greys over the SF Bay like what you show in your picture. Wonderful!

I haven't read Doig but I will check out The Whistling Season.
joan