Sunday, December 16, 2007

Skinny strips #3 12-15-07

Here is another experiment with skinny strips, not unlike something I have done in the past except I have carried it a bit further. These somewhat wedge shaped pieces are butted together and fused. I put the fusible down with the paper side against a pressing sheet on the ironing board, arrange the strips right side up on the fusible side, put kitchen parchment over them and fuse them with a hot iron.The paper backing is still on. This piece is about 13" x 6".

Now I have made wedge cuts in the long direction, turned them end to end, mixed them up, cut them again into 6" lengths,and removed the paper backing. The pieces need to be carefully butted up to each other so fusible doesn't show between them. They are fused again.
I wanted it to be even more scrappy, so I cut really skinny pieces (1/8" to 1/4") from the leftovers and fused them on each 'join'. I may cover it with light blue tulle to keep the edges from fraying. I intend to use this as a sky.

My thumb is much better, still a little swollen and a little stiff, but I can do almost everything in the same old way. I'm so thankful.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

jpsam said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are on the mend. And you are working! I am very inspired by your skinny strips method. It sounds like a great way to work, rather than fusing a lot of yardage and then cutting...
joan