Saturday, March 15, 2008

Yellow flowers 03-14-08

Before the BCQG meeting last evening I wandered around taking pictures. These are cultivated flowers in beds around the school.

This is a sort of bush marigold - they bloom bright gold and then fade.

Here are a couple new blossoms.
Red hot pokers - this is a plant you can divide and replant the clumps until you have a yard full of the darn things.
There is that saying about trouble coming in threes - which I don't believe holds true, usually. But when three inconvenient things happen in one day I start to wonder. Three light bulbs burned out today - weird. They didn't last the same amount of time, I know this because, being a little odd, I always date my light bulbs! And a lot of other things, so that I can satisfy my curiosity about how long things last. The one over the sink lasted 3-1/2 years, somewhat amazing since it is on anytime it is dark - sometimes all night. The one in the floor can-light in the office lasted twenty months and it is only on for four hours every evening. One of two bulbs in the floor lamp in the family room was only installed last summer, the other one has been burning for 22 months. I have a few of those curly 'green' bulbs but they don't give enough light to sew by. However, I did put a little one in the can-light. Those things are supposed to last forever - we'll have to wait and see.
Isn't my life exciting?
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Christine Thresh said...

That is strange about the light bulbs. Where do you put the date on them?

Del said...

On the curly 'green' bulb there is a plastic (or maybe it is ceramic) base. The spotlight shaped bulbs in the overhead cans I mark on the back of the bulb. On lamps I have a sticker on the bulb receptacle - those half inch round stickers.