Thursday, June 19, 2008

Organizing/Digging Out 06-19-08

My generous friend Liz came today and gave me another six hours of her time and sweat to get my house in order. I'm going to owe her BIG time. I had to stand on a stool to take a photograph so the table didn't block the lower shelves, which makes the bookcases look like they have been working on their upper body strength. Sorry.


I currently have five boxes of books to sell or otherwise dispose of and there are still some books, folders and magazines in a third bookcase which will be incorporated here. Plus we will probably have a few books from the office. Sometimes one must put new books some place even if they don't fit the category on a particular shelf, so they just go in any slot that will take another book. I'm hoping that all the quilting and needlework books will fit in these two cases.




On top of the left bookcase is a nice Raku vase my husband gave me and a picture of my mother when she was about 19 (in 1925). Pictures didn't come in color then, but her job was tinting photos in a photographer's studio. The few pictures we have that she tinted are quite wonderful, showing her talent in this occupation. I have her tinting brushes, porcelain palette and several books of the tinting papers - treasures from the past. I suspect that my father made the frame which hangs by side pivots, a style that was popular back then. It is wood with silver paint and still has the original paint and backing paper (getting a little raggedy).

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Patty ♣ said...

Your mother was a beautiful young woman...I loved those picture frames.
I find it difficult to go through books and discard some. It sounds like you are making good progress!

meggie said...

Beautiful delicate photo! The tinting is perfect.

Corky said...

What a beautiful woman your mother was. Wish I had someone who could come organize me!