Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Shake, Rattle and Roll 07-29-08

Yes, we had an earthquake today - 5.4 on the Richter scale, which is quite strong. I was having lunch with a friend in Tustin and when the rolling stopped we judiciously moved to an outside table away from the large windows. But we didn't feel any aftershocks. There was one this evening that I felt, but it was minuscule.

There was no real damage at my house. Cupboard doors opened and drawers rolled out, but only these few things flew out of the pantry onto the floor. Several standing clocks were knocked from shelves to the floor, but only one seems to have suffered an injury. It was a "Free Gift" w/purchase thing many years ago, so no big loss if it doesn't recover. Books fell in the office and I had to get the tongs to move them a bite so I could get the door open to pick everything up and put it back in the bookcase.

The fabric shelves and boxes were fine, but I will make it a priority to have them anchored to the wall. All the tall pieces of furniture are anchored to keep them from toppling over in a shaker. The piles/boxes/bags of scraps were undisturbed (snort), but one of my small design boards flopped over - on the right in the picture above. So, all is well here. I am still having trouble with Picasa. I asked for some help on the members help list, but haven't received any answer. I never have on any question I have posed, but where there is hope.....! I will try something else tomorrow to get the Quilt Festival pictures posted.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Gerrie said...

This brought back memories!! I did an analysis of the possible hazards for our address at OMSI — very high for earthquakes. I can't seem to get away from them. In the Loma Prieta quake our house in Los Gatos looked as if a poltergeist had had a field day.

I'm happy that it was not worse.

meggie said...

We used to experience quite a few earthquakes in the North Island of New Zealand.
I really loved seeing all those special quilts you have uploaded.
Thankyou.