Thursday, August 7, 2008

House Painting 08-07-08

Yes, the images in yesterday's blog were of painted wood siding that has been scraped and sanded.
I have neglected my house for too many years. The beating California sun is so hard on painted siding. I even thought of redoing the siding with one of the alternate wood-like products. Instead it is being painted. There is some cream colored paint left, but not much. Notice that the chimney is plain brick. Oddly the opposite side of it is painted the same color as the house. We have never figured out why that is so.

The painters start setting up their equipment about 7am, but they are very quiet, not waking me until they start the compressor or the sander or.... one of the other noisy things they use. So, when I walked down the front hall this morning and looked out to see this blue paint I almost shrieked. I quick went out through the garage since the front door is 'plastic-ed' and confront the painter, "Why is it blue? That isn't the right color." He replied calmly, "No, that is the first primer coat." I've never seen primer this color, but he is the expert. He put up a little of the "Grey Wolf", the right color, so I could see what it will look like. You can see at at the bottom right above or in the picture below.

This is "Grey Wolf" as it appears on an late 19Th C. building that has been added to and converted to offices. In these pictures it looks more like the blue undercoat! But this building was painted at least four years ago, so the sun has faded the paint some.

Before he left today he had painted the porch and the side of the garage. I think the color is perfect. He says it will be done by next Wednesday. I'll post pictures again then.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: