Monday, September 29, 2008

Going out for Breakfast 09-29-08

I really do live a very boring, quiet life and I think that is one reason why I enjoy certain blogs. They are written by people who have a lot of relatives and friends in their daily lives, and they are always coming and going and having company or... something. I am happy with my quiet way of living, but it is exciting to read about the way others live - like reading a serialized novel.

September is my birthday month and it has always been my habit to schedule my "doctor days" during that month. Of course, I don't actually spend days at the doctor's office - except sometimes it feels like I've spent a day in the waiting room! I've been going to Dr. Susan Debin in Orange for about eighteen years and we have a good working relationship. She is big on pills and I am always finding other ways to treat whatever ails me. But I do have a number of prescriptions that I must take daily, like it or not. When I have an early morning appointment with Dr. Debin I never eat before I go in, just in case she needs a fasting blood test - I hate having to go back just for that. When I have finished the doctoring for the day I take myself out to breakfast. Not being a morning person I rarely have that meal out. Last week I drove to Katella Deli in Los Alamitos (Katella St & Lexington Dr) for one of their outstanding breakfast offerings. I was tempted to have a corned beef or pastrami sandwich (fabulous), but it was only 9am and it seemed a little early for lunch. I was particularly proud of myself because I walked through the bakery and didn't buy anything! When I got outside I thought to take pictures so I went in and ask permission, which I received with a "you are a weird lady" look.

The smell in the bakery can make
me gain weight! I don't know who eats all these treats, but they are always fresh - I've never had a stale anything here.

My husband was a great cookie lover, so he always tried to find something he had never sampled before.

I do love cookies, but my first choice would be a pastry - Bear Claw, Cheese Danish, Cherry Danish... you get the idea.

I've only had a cake once, for a meeting/birthday party and it was delicious. But I can't eat a whole cake myself so I've never purchased another. The bread is also very good.

I came here once with a friend from New York and she said it was just like a Jewish Deli in NYC or New Jersey. It is almost always full and Sundays are a complete crush. If you are ever in Los Alamitos/Long Beach give it a try. Afterward I waddled to my van and drove over to visit with Corky for an hour or so. I didn't need to eat again until dinner and that was light.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

dee said...

Not a bad ending to a Dr. Day. We have a number of those places nearby and I'm with you on the pastry. I can turn down cake and cookies but stick a pastry in my face and it's all over. I loved the hat quilt from yesterday-so much fun!

Patty ♣ said...

Aren't you glad that this wonderful bakery is a ways away from your normal traffic pattern!
I don't know of a really great close bakery. There used to be a lot more of them. I think that they should sell 1/4 parts of cakes!!! There are lots of small families and single people...

Corky said...

I've been dieting so your bakery photos have my mouth watering. I'm a real sweets person and I miss them!