Friday, October 3, 2008

Just Wicked! 10-03-08

The Five-Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

I received this recipe the other day and then again today from someone else. Of course, I had to test it before I pass it on. And I discovered that it is indeed dangerous. Don't blame me - I'm on a diet too.

When it comes out of the microwave it looks like this. If you can see into your microwave while things are cooking, it expands straight up and even leans a bit. But the minute you cut the power the cake recedes into the mug. If you don't have a spray oil, just oil or butter the cup so the cake will come out in one piece.

Yes, it looks warped and not very pretty. It is very dense, like a flourless chocolate cake. I think the chocolate chips are important - I didn't have any left for this cake.

As you can see it will cut into four generous slices plus the thinner top [so the cook can test for flavor]. Or, if you are on a chocolate binge, eat the whole cake and don't leave any evidence. This cake took longer than five minutes because I had to pause for photos. The others took five minutes.

FIVE MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE
1 Coffee Mug
4 tablespoons flour (that's plain flour, not self-rising)
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons baking cocoa
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons chocolate chips (optional)
Small splash of vanilla

Put dry ingredients in mug, and mix well. Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Add the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave (on a paper towel or paper plate) and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate and eat with a fork. Or, if desired, forget sophistication and eat it out of the mug with a spoon.

* For extra pleasure be sure to have vanilla ice cream or cool whip on hand.
And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world? Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night.

Add dry ingredients to mug, and mix well . Add the egg and mix thoroughly. Add the milk and oil and mix well. Add the chocolate chips (if using) and vanilla, and mix again. Put your mug in the microwave (on a paper towel or paper plate) and cook for 3 minutes at 1000 watts. The cake will rise over the top of the mug, but don't be alarmed! Allow to cool a little, and tip out onto a plate and eat with a fork. Or, if desired, forget sophistication and eat it out of the mug with a spoon.

* For extra pleasure be sure to have vanilla ice cream or cool whip on hand.

And why is this the most dangerous cake recipe in the world? Because now we are all only 5 minutes away from chocolate cake at any time of the day or night!

A few notes Verna found to be helpful:
>Mix the cake in a small bowl . Lightly spray the mug with Pam. Pour the cake mixture in the Mug. Follow the above directions for baking.
>I added 2 tablespoons of chopped pecans and stirred real well but as the cake baked all of the pecans came to the top.
>I laid the cake down on the side and sliced it into round pieces. It was enough to serve four people about a one inch slice.
Del's notes: I made the cake three times - once in the mug, once in the bowl and poured into the mug, once in a 1-quart, Ziploc freezer bag and poured into the mug. I think the bowl works best because it is easier mix everything together very well.
I wonder if this started as one of those college dorm recipes, like ironing a cheese sandwich in the fifties. It would be a perfect fit - easy, fast and wicked.
One more thing: I don't use cooking oil much so I never have it in the house, so I used a light olive oil and it tasted just great.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

jpsam said...

The freshman 15 will be challenged by this one! I'll try it. I have a young friend who just went to UCLA. Thanks!
joan

Christine Thresh said...

We are going to try it tonight.

Nancy said...

Del, I read your blog nearly every day and very much enjoy the "picture lady." You write so eloquently I feel I take some of your trips and walks with you. Adore Corky, but this post is wicked. Bad girl, bad girl!! Of course, I copied the recipe.....

Quiltrobin said...

I went straight to the kithen and tried it. The big shocker is that I had all of the ingredients on hand, except the chocolate chips. It really worked! MMMMMM! I'll bet it's even better with the chocolate chips. Do they make peanut butter chips anymore?

We are in big trouble now.