Sunday, September 28, 2008

Quilts from TCQC 09-27-08

Not all the quilts in the Collection have been made by internationally known quilt makers. I try to see as many exhibits and quilt shows as I can and I "surf the net" looking at websites: artists, galleries, on-line exhibits, etc. Just Googling "art quilt" offers hundreds of thousands of hits these days. It was a lot easier twenty years ago when there were fewer websites, but not nearly as interesting. I learned about Wilda Northrop when I picked up a postcard for a small quilt auction in Pacific Grove in 2001. Since then there have been several exhibits of her work at Back Porch Fabric Shop where she shows both her lovely appliqued pieces and her fabulous watercolors. She is know for her paintings throughout the USA and in Europe. She earned her MFA at Otis Art Institute in Los Angeles and is a member of the American Watercolor Society, the National Watercolor Society and Watercolor West.
"Sunflowers" Wilda Northrop 2001 39"W x 49"L
I was amazed to learn that one doesn't have to cut out each flower exactly, a little background left on or extra twig or two doesn't make a difference in the total image. Wilda has a sharp eye for color, line, shape, perspective.... well, all those things she has used for years as a water colorist. As far as I know she doesn't have a website, but if you wish to contact her I'm sure that Back Porch Fabric Shop will take messages. Gail@backporchfabrics.com Especially since Wilda is part of a two woman exhibit which runs from Sep 28 through Dec 3, 2008.
Posted by Picasa




1 comment:

Gerrie said...

I am enjoying this view into your collection. Loved June's Crow piece!