Thursday, September 25, 2008

Quilts from TCQC 09-24-08

"Copper Tree" Joan Colvin 2003 26"W x 65"L
This quilt is on page 38 in Joan's book "Joan Colvin: Nature's Studio". For quite a few years I had been asking her to sell me one of her quilts, but it never seemed to work out. Then in 2005 we were both at Asilomar and she had this quilt to show the students - the perfect quilt for me - I wrote the check and brought it home.

Great fabric selection, some are her own hand dyed (or discharged) fabrics - the little twigs in the background are a commercial batik fabric with a pattern of sea coral - and she included silk ribbon and copper wire ribbon twisted make some of the branches. With a studio light on it the copper sparkles as I walk past the quilt. It has a ethereal beauty common in Joan's work.

Joan died just a year ago, Sep 9th, 2007, a great loss to the art quilt community.

Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

meggie said...

That quilt is so BEAUTIFUL! What a wonderful artist, & it seems sad to think she no longer creates such magic. How wonderful to have a piece of her art.

dee said...

This is such a stunning piece Del. Very moving to have this in your collection. I'm really enjoying these wonderful choices you made....and, of course, the Corky pics are always fun.

Virginia Greaves said...

I love Joan's work. I didn't know she had died. She made me understand the value of cinnamon tones for landscapes. Thank you for showing this piece.

Roberta Ranney said...

Thank you for sharing your wonderful collection. Joan Colvin's work always draws me in and I love seeing Dijanne Cevaal's pieces. I have run into pictures of the Linda Colsh work - it is a treat to look at.

Gerrie said...

I love this. I love trees done in fabric. I regret that I never got to take a class with Joan.

Norma Schlager said...

I've always admired her work. I'll have to get her book out again and look at it. Aren't you fortunate to own such a beautiful piece? The art world lost someone very special when she died, but her work loves on.
Norma

Kristin L said...

Beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing your collection with us. Work like this is so inspirational.