Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Quilts from TCQC 09-23-08

The photos I am showing you are from my files and are not professional images. If I had started at the beginning having professional pictures taken and continued that way it would have been spread out over time. But to have it done now would break my bank. Several years ago I started asking for a slide when I buy a quilt. Most artists have professional slides made and retain a number of copies, so it is not a great expense for them to include a slide with the quilt.
"Orange Peel Surprise" Freddy Moran 1997 62" square
I saw Freddy sewing the binding on this quilt in the hotel lobby at PIQF in Santa Clara. It was instant love! I didn't even ask the price when I told her I would buy it. Several months later I received the quilt and the bill. I was surprised at the price, but, as you see, I paid up and added the quilt to the TCQC. The moral is, I suppose, that one should ask first and then decide. But don't wait too long, a really great quilt will be gone in a flash - I have missed several by waiting too long to decide.
This quilt was sewn with Karen Stone papers in Freddy's unique choice of fabrics and colors. The 'surprise' is on the back - a wonderful bright fabric with cupcakes and hats and noisemakers. I always tell viewers that there is a birthday party on the back.
Freddy does not have a website.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Patty ♣ said...

I LOVE this quilt Del!

Corky said...

Beautiful quilt - and so very Freddy. I'm glad you're sharing your collection with us.

meggie said...

I can almost hear the din of the party!! It is wonderfully noisy & colourful.

Kay Koeper Sorensen said...

Thanks so much for sharing your collection.
As an artist it is always interesting for me to see a quilt collector's collection.
You have a very descerning eye.
K