Friday, September 26, 2008

Quilts from TCQC 09-26-08

"Crowsline" June Underwood 2002 45"W x 20.25"L
A long-time attraction to the antics of crows led June to do a series of quilts with crows and dragons. When I first saw this quilt I thought the crow in the center foreground was a little too strange, but not long after I hung the quilt on my wall I saw a crow with the same body language on the curb across the street. He was indignantly complaining to his fellows who were bathing in the gutter. Guess he must have moved here to be near his quilt!
The first June Underwood quilt I saw was one she made to celebrate the birthday of a friend "Zee and the Crow-nies". http://tinyurl.com/5yzptr
I was enchanted with the imagery and found the crows to be very crow like, and sparsely drawn. Of course, it belonged to the honoree, so I looked at June's website often to see what was new, which is how I happened to be "Del on the spot" when "Crowsline" was posted. June creates the fabric she uses in her quilts - painting, dyeing, discharging, stenciling, over dyeing - whatever it takes to get the look she wants. She does extensive quilting which gives a wonderful texture to the fabric surface. There are several June originals in the Collection. Check her website: http://www.juneunderwood.com/

Posted by Picasa


1 comment:

meggie said...

This quilt reminded me of the Hitchcock movie The Birds.
I find the calls of the crows to be somehow so mournful, they make me feel uneasy. I have no doubt they are very clever creatures!