Sunday, October 26, 2008

Quilts from TCQC 10-26-08

Quilts have been added to the Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection in many different ways. The first one was purchased at auction - the first auction at which I had ever made a bid. It was exciting and I was, and still am, thrilled to have that quilt. But I wasn't really collecting quilts. Then I bought a quilt at a quilt show and had two. Next I bought one from an exhibit and had three. Someone told me that two makes a pair and three makes a collection and the TCQC began. I have purchased quilts from artist's websites, from quilt shows and exhibits, from eBay, from live auctions, from estate sales, from teachers whose class I was in, from speakers at guild programs, and from seeing work in progress on a blog. This is just to show you how accessible quilts can be. Not just contemporary (art) quilts, but traditional quilts of the present era and antique quilts. There is no theme to the Collection, I just buy what I like, what I can afford and what I have room to store! The current production of so many small quilts, especially for auctions, allows many people who are interested in textiles to have a collection of small, medium or large pieces - or some of each. There are two online auctions coming up in early November that offer some outstanding work by known and yet-to-be-know artists. The Alliance for American Quilts auction begins on October 30 - http://www.allianceforamericanquilts.org/myquilts/
The auction for Studio Art Quilt Associates starts on November 10 http://www.saqa.com/newsebulletins/Squares08_1a.aspx

"Ripples on the Pond" Carol Taylor 2000 35.5" x 18.5"

I know, it doesn't look like what Carol is doing now, but eight years ago she was experimenting with dyeing and discharging and used the fabrics to make a few quilts. I saw "Ripples in the Pond" in a special exhibit at PIQF and contacted Carol to see if it was for sale. I think she was a little startled to have an e-mail from an unknown lady in California, but she was happy to sell the quilt to me. I like the way the ripples, flames and crossing lines go in all different directions between the calm flat hand-dyed pieces. They give the quilt dynamic action. I like a lot of the quilts Carol has made in the last eight years and took a class with her at Asilomar to see how she goes about her quilt making. I hope some day soon I will be "in the money" again and be able to add another Carol Taylor quilt to the TCQC.


http://www.caroltaylorquilts.com/


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

jpsam said...

I am so glad you wrote this post about how the TCQC got started. I kept no records but I suspect that I began my minuscule collection after seeing a portion of your collection at the EBHQ guild show. It is great seeing this piece by Carol Taylor and I enjoy reading about your responses to the work.
joan