Sunday, November 30, 2008

Driving a Day, Resting the Next 11-29/30-08

When I am ready to leave the house in LHC the packing up and getting on the road always takes longer than I think it will. Yesterday I waited for the dishwasher to finish its job so I could turn off the water to the house. Meanwhile I finished packing, cleaning the bathroom, finishing my Thanksgiving blog and doing the checklist on "Leaving the house". I know I couldn't do it without the list, because I don't go out often enough to remember, even if I weren't losing my little grey cells at a rapid rate.
The majority of the drive was at night and I have always loved driving in the desert at night. It makes me feel that I am in a cocoon rushing along in the darkness imagining all sorts of scenery that is only in my mind - tall trees and vast beaches and fantastic castles. This trip started out with the tiniest curl of California gold slipping down to the horizon. And above it was the hard bright glow of Venus, followed closely by Jupiter. They had all retreated beyond the horizon by the time I came to the bright lights of Barstow, Apple Valley, Hesperia and, finally the ocean of lights in the great LA basin. The traffic was heavier than when I drove out on Tuesday, but still not of the density that was common before the gas prices hiked and the economy tanked. Five hours and I didn't see an accident or a Highway Patrol car - which I think is amazing.
Today I unpacked everything, including a refrigerator of leftovers, and took it easy. I'm just not the woman I used to be - I get tired much easier. And now it is after midnight and I am ready to fall asleep.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

bailey said...

I am sooooo grateful that you take the time to do this and I am soooo grateful that you figured out that "enlarge" feature! I click and a whole new world opens up. This time it took my breath away.