Wednesday, December 3, 2008

"Roadcut" 12-02-08

My plan for today was to go for coffee in the morning, followed by a stop at Target and then home to sew the rest of the day. However, a friend called me when I was at Target and ask if I could help her out in an emergency. Of course I could - and off I went. By the time I got home again it was 7pm and I was too tired to sew. I went to bed early, so now I am up prowling for an hour or so. Since I didn't get any sewing done, I am showing you a quilt I made in 2004.

"Road cut - Arizona" Del Thomas 2004 34"W x 28"L

Collection of Diana McClun

Just south of Kingman, AZ, there is a road cut that exposes many layers of soil and rock of different colors. It has always fascinated me, but it is almost impossible to take a good picture because there is no shoulder to pull off the roadway. I had several so-so pictures to help me when I was constructing this piece and it is not recognizable as that certain cut. It is the first in a series of road cuts in different areas or states.

It is heavily quilted in what I call 'strata' quilting which can give some interesting effects. I used several different, but closely related, colors of thread. I did the standard binding because I felt it needed an edge to set it off from whatever wall it was on.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Interesting,and I love the colors.
Sheri

Feeling Simply Quilty said...

I like the road cut. We live in Kentucky and see lots of it because of the limestone and whatever else that makes for great road cuttings. My DD#2 is a budding geologist and would love a quilt like this. Is it your original pattern? We've had to stop along the road in our travels for our daughter to take similar pictures, maybe I'll snag some of hers to make a quilt for her birthday.

Thanks for the inspiration!