Monday, January 12, 2009

The biggest moon 01-12-09

Here is the moon on January 8th, just past sundown. I read a report that this moon would be larger than any other this year - it has to do with the way the earth and moon and sun relate at different times in their phases. Of course, in this picture it just looks like any old moon! Click to enlarge

The Chinaberry trees are in full 'berry' right now. This one is in a backyard that belongs to someone I don't know, so no closeups.

I'm sure I had seen hundreds (at least) of Chinaberry trees before I knew what they were. They are originally from northern India, China and the Himalayas, and were brought to the Americas in the mid-1800s. I learned their name in SCarolina where they are grown as shade trees and reportedly bring good luck to the home. The leaves are a shiny dark green and very dense, the trunk twists as it grows. And then there are the thousands of tan berries that last well into winter, after every leaf has fallen. Unfortunately, every part of the tree is highly poisonous. It reseeds rapidly and is considered an agricultural and wildlife hazard in a number of states. I've long thought of doing a Chinaberry quilt, but haven't found a way to make the berries satisfactorily. One of these days.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Corky said...

Very cool photo Del. Thanks for sharing.