Friday, January 16, 2009

Quilt Visions - 2008 01-16-09

I drove to San Diego today with a stop to visit Quilt Visions at the Oceanside Museum of Art. What gorgeous quilts! The two quilts below I like very much and neither is for sale.

"Spring" Eun-Ryoung Choi - Seoul, Korea 72"W x 58"L Cotton, poly-gauze. Hand painted, snippets, machine applique and quilting

"Pirouette 4" Karin Franzen Fairbanks, Alaska 41"W x 49"L Silk organza, used clothing, wool, silk, cotton, linen, rayon, oil pastel rubbing and Lumiere paint.
http://www.karinfranzen.com/wp/2008/expressions-the-art-quilt/

And a detail. If you are thinking that Visions doesn't allow photos, you are right. I cheated!
I continued driving south to San Diego to attend the opening of the newest exhibit at Visions Art Quilt Gallery. They are showing quilts made by quilt makers who have juried one of the Visions exhibits. Some quite wonderful quilts there also. I especially like Judith Content's work - I don't have one of her quilts, but I have one of her scarves. I hang it on the long, narrow wall in the hallway. And I do wear it sometimes, but I enjoy it as if it were part of TCQC - on the wall.
A few of her quilts are at: http://www.art-is-life.com/quilts7.htm
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Terry Grant said...

Public admission of your crime! I never knew you were such a rebel.

Both of these are wonderful. I especially love the first, but am very intrigued by the techniques used in the second. Thanks for the detail there.

Anonymous said...

I was very lucky indeed to be in Sue Benner's class at QSDS last year when Karin was working on this and another of her fabulous crane pieces. It is multi-layered and her eye for detail is remarkable. I spent much time just watching her work and agonize over every move. Karin is, in MNSHO, a genius.

teri