Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Quilt returns 01-13-09

"Live Oaks II" Del Thomas 2006 24.50"W x 18.75"L
This quilt has been part of "Altered Views" a traveling exhibit of the Kansas Art Quilters. It has been gone for several years and returned home a few days ago. My usual experience when I send a quilt that I am not entirely happy with for exhibit and it returns after an extended period, I open the box and think, "Wow, that isn't bad." I find that I like it after all. Not so with this one. I can't think of what is wrong with it, perhaps it is the hand stitched 'shading' on the tree. I may come up with a solution, or I may not. Meanwhile I have hung it where I see it several times a day - maybe I will be inspired.
While many of you are suffering from subzero weather, SCalifornia is having a heat wave. It was 71F at 7am this morning. This is caused by the Santa Ana winds which have been howling for four or five days. Some gusts up to 70mph, which may be why I thought a few times the whole house was shaking. Fortunately, no fires although fire warnings have been posted in Ventura County and Los Angeles County. Keep good thoughts for us - we can't afford to fight wildfires, so early in the year and without a state budget in sight.

3 comments:

dee said...

Hey Del! Your temp is the reverse of mine. I like yours better. Thanks for the perigee moon facts. I now know why I woke up during the night when it glared through the skylight like a searchlight.
I will keep you in my thoughts and hope you stay safe.

dee said...

The picture of your little quilt wouldn't show yesterday. I like it and can't imagine what you could do to make it better. Possibly make them look more like birches-fine line pen-work???? It's simple and pretty.

Corky said...

I like your quilt Del. Sometimes we need to silence that inner critic because it's too harsh.

We're expecting the coldest weather in 20 years this weekend. It it really hits 16F like they predict I'll feel like I'm back home in Michigan instead of South Carolina. Come August I'll wish for that 16F!