Sunday, February 15, 2009

Cynthia Corbin quilt in TCQC 02-15-09

"Absolutes" Cynthia Corbin 1994 35"W x 56"L
This is one of Cynthia's early quilts, unlike what she has been making in the last decade. I met her in a class at Empty Spools Seminars at Asilomar in California, in about 1992. I was impressed with her class work and eventually asked if she sold her quilts. When she said yes, I asked for some pictures and this one immediately grabbed me. The center rectangle is a "stack and cut and rearrange" technique that seems to have a different name these days. She decided it was too stark and designed borders with curves. Also adding the brown fabric for contrast. I wasn't paying attention to the markings on the slide she sent so I was surprised when I received the quilt in the mail and the sleeve was on one of the long sides. I thought it was a vertical quilt and I had the perfect spot for it - so it has two sleeves, for horizontal hanging that Cynthia sewed on and for vertical hanging that I sewed on. And I do hang it both ways. To me the center feels calm with the limited color selection and the wonderful borders add movement and vitality.
Cynthia is known for her intense quilting - rows and rows -sometimes an 1/8 of an inch apart and sometimes wider spacing. Her quilts have been in many exhibits and she teaches in the USA and internationally.

http://www.cynthiacorbin.com/

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Suzanne Kistler said...

I love the quilt!

I'm looking forward to taking a second class from her beginning March 8 at Asilomar. She stretches me more than any teacher I've ever met!