Monday, February 23, 2009

Quilt from TCQC 02-23-09

"Parking Magik" Deborah Lacativa 2003 22" square
This original design is about Deborah's minor skill that always nets her a choice parking spot, no matter how crowded or busy the parking lot. The foundation is a printed cotton bandanna with appliques of original digital images printed on PDF with BJS.
Embellished with glass beads...

tiny brass bells...

... and shells.
This quilt is so interesting and different than anything I have seen elsewhere. The use of the bandanna (India? African?) works very well and the shells, bells and beading are appropriate for this piece.
I purchased this one after I saw it in "My World in Black and White", an exhibit organized by Ann Copeland and her Fiberarts Connection of SCalifornia. And it isn't the only one I purchased from that very good exhibit! This quilt is very different than the work Deborah is doing now and I am pleased to have one of her early works in the Collection. I know that one of the influences that sent Deborah in a different direction was an Elizabeth Barton workshop. And, as she says, she hasn't looked back.
I also purchased it before I discovered the difficulty I have with storing quilts with lots of embellishments - especially dangling things. Along with a few other delicate pieces it is stored in a large flat acid free box for which I still haven't found a good spot in my house.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Christine Thresh said...

I have a very small Lacativa quilt. I don't know what direction she is going, but I'll follow her anywhere.
Your quilt is super, super good. You have a fine collector's eye.

meggie said...

That is a lovely quilt, striking!