Thursday, February 26, 2009

On the road again. 02-26-09

I'm sorry I missed posting yesterday - I was out of steam by the time I arrived at Mary and Joe's house in San Juan Bautista. I haven't traveled anywhere since October and I seem to have forgotten how to get ready! Old brain, I guess.

It was a lovely day driving up I-5, lots of interesting clouds and the hills are all freshly green. A couple weeks ago they were covered with snow! This is just south of Gorman, located about at the top of the grade. Last year I post pictures of these hills covered with wild flowers. http://delquilts.blogspot.com/2008/04/wildflowers-i-5-near-gorman-04-09-08.html

http://delquilts.blogspot.com/2008/04/spring-along-i-5-sjb-to-la-04-17-08.html

The clouds were dark and threatening, but I didn't see a drop of rain. The traffic was very light all the way after I passed Pasadena (210 Fwy). I found it rather spooky after years of driving I-5 with heavy truck and passenger vehicle traffic - guess people are saving money on gas.

Much further north I watched this gorgeous sunset interlaced with contrails from airliners out of San Jose. There were dozens of them so it must have been very, very cold up there.

Before the sun went down I drove past miles of almonds in blossom with stacks of bee hives under the trees. No fragrance, but lovely to look at. Not much actually growing now, but many of the fields are either just planted or ready to plant. If you click on the picture of the blossoming trees you can see some bee hives on the left of the picture.
Sylvia is also staying with Mary this weekend and we will be out and about tomorrow to visit the outlets and a new quilt shop in a nearby town. And, of course, to have lunch, but it probably won't be as good as the savoury panini sandwiches Mary served for lunch today.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

meggie said...

Lovely photos!
Home-made is always best, for food, if the person loves food. I find many cafe owners, & restrateurs are 'foodies' & this is why their food is always so great!

imquilternity said...

Gorgeous photos. It must have been a lovely drive. I love being on the road when it's not too busy, especially when traveling through beautiful countryside! Thanks for sharing.

Patty ♣ said...

Those are terrific pictures Del!!!
Happy Trails!!